Thursday, February 19, 2009

One of the Lucky Ones

As of right now I am one of the lucky few students who seems to be out of debt. My parents have been paying for my college tuition thus far, although with the recent stock market plunge, I am not sure what the future will hold. I am planning on continuing to apply for scholarships and hope that the economy can right itself before I am out there looking for a job.

If I do end up acquiring some debt before I finish my schooling, I would not at all be surprised. My parents have been saving money since I was born, and I am receiving a small portion of academic scholarship from the school, but Santa Clara still costs $45,000 a year. I am trying to work a little bit when I can in order to pay for my own basic things outside of school, like laundry, food, social activities. I don't have a car at school and probably won't bring one down next year either to save money on gas and insurance.

Also If i end up getting debt, I would probably be screwed, because I have no idea what I want to do, but as of now I'm very involved in journalism and there is no money there. I was really good at math and science in high school, I might have made a mistake!

Here's an article from USA Today about college students in debt.

*'Students suffocate under tens of thousands in loans'

No comments: