Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Deepest Thoughts on Debt

To be honest, debt scares me. I am very fortunate to be in a situation where my parents are paying for my college education, but I plan to go to some form of graduate school. I am thinking about applying to Santa Clara's law school. With higher education comes higher levels of debt. And with the economy the way it is, I am honestly nervous that I am going to be paying six figures until I am six feet under!

I think about the high amount of debt that I am destined to have to pay, and then I also realize that I will need to buy a car sometime, pay rent, buy food, support a social life so I don't go crazy, etc, all while paying off student loans. But, it is a part of life I suppose.

It is very helpful to remind myself of a few things though. Although I will have to pay back a large amount of money, taking out these loans guarantees opportunities that will open many doors for me in the future. I will learn many new things, meet new people, go new places, and have new, crazy thoughts. The loans may be a lot of money, but missing out on these opportunities would be a tragedy.

No comments: